Friday, September 11, 2009

Fall

I've been seeing signs of fall for a few weeks now. First I noticed on my morning walks the absence of the Wood Thrush and Summer Tanager. Now I've noticed the bucks have shed their velvet and thankfully have found something better than my young pines to do it on this year. On my drives to work I am beginning to see a hint of red on the black gums, and the cedar elms have just a tinge of yellow, and the sassafras are turning too. I'm ready for the change of seasons, such as it is here in the piney woods of northeast Texas. By the calendar, fall is only a little over a week away, but the news comes slowly down here.

When the weather cools, I love to sleep with my windows open, and hear the coyotes, sounding like a band of Indians on the war path. It's fascinating to me that a group of 3 or 4 can sound like a dozen or more. With my windows open. I can also hear the sound of tree frogs, barred owls, the occasional screech and great horned owls that share the woods.

I haven't heard geese flying over yet, but it shouldn't be long now.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, I can almost smell fall in the air and feel the cool breeze on my face. It's still on the warm side here in south Texas although the mornings have been nice and cool. I just wish we could get some more of that rain this winter. I would love to play with my new camera among some spring wild flowers. But, no rain, no flowers.

    ReplyDelete