Saturday, April 30, 2011

Cossatot River and Caney Creek Day Hikes April 16-17

Well the spring showers have begun and the rivers are up, much to the glee of the paddling world. It's been dry for so long. Thursday's storms turned violent over large parts of the south including Arkansas, and Friday was windy and overcast in its aftermath. I arrived at Shady Lake CG Friday mid-afternoon and had my pick of sites. Because of the wind I decided to camp on the Saline in the shelter of the trees. I car camped and got to try out my new POE sleeping pad. AWESOME! 
The Thermarest is now for sale :)


I'd missed getting to do the Eagle Rock Loop with friends the weekend before because of knee problems, and while I couldn't stand to stay home on this beautiful weekend, I'd decided to take it easy by just doing some nice easy day hikes and see how it went.


I got up early and headed for the north end of the Cossatot River Corridor Trail, arriving at 7:30 only to realize the day use area didn't open until 8. Park staff arrived to unlock the gates, I parked and quickly got on my way. So much for being an early bird. It was cool and breezy as I made my way south. I was hoping with all the rain the side creeks would be up and there'd be opportunities to see some waterfalls. What I did see were lots of wild irises in bloom.
My plan was to hike to Sand Bar and back, but when I got to Ed Banks, I decided it was not safe to cross. Silly me, I thought there was an actual bridge there, not a ford. I always err on the side of caution; it's a long way across, one slick spot could spell trouble, and I know a hydraulic when I see one. Instead I had lunch at the nearby campsite and headed back. On the way back I passed a couple of groups of college age kids and warned them about crossing. I recently checked the gauge for that day, it was over 4', having dropped out quickly from 8' after Thursday's storm.
 There were some great river views from up high and it couldn't have been a nicer spring day.

The CRCT is a nice trail and I've now done a section on the north and south ends. I don't care for all the blazes though. At one point on the trail I had each hand on a tree with a blaze. I recently found out that will be corrected in the future, as well as some backcountry camp sites added. There was a great deal of effort and sweat put into this trail and I hope to hike it in its entirety next fall.
My left knee had started giving me trouble again and I wasn't sure hiking Sunday would be possible. Grrr! Sometimes just getting off it overnight works.


The next morning I was up early again and heading for Caney Creek, having tested the knee out first on the hike up the hill to the restrooms. I strapped on the brace for good measure.
My first trip to Caney Creek was only six months ago. Leaf-off is a special time of the year when you can see forever, but Caney Creek in spring is simply amazing! One of my favorite trees, and there are many, are the umbrella magnolias. Not blooming yet, I find their branching structure fascinating and their newly unfolding leaves have a fairy like quality to them.
With all the tender new foliage, I felt like I was walking through a neon green cathedral. Just as I took this shot, a Barred-Owl flew overhead. How amazing to live in such a place!
They wildflowers were blooming, and the butterflies were out in force. I hiked to the Buckeye Junction and back stopping to have lunch where the trail crosses Katy Creek.
I made my way back to the car, disappointed that I hadn't spent a night in the woods. As I drove home I began planning for the next weekend that would remedy that!
I'd passed another solo hiker during my hike; we were both in meditation mode, so we'd exchanged quiet greetings and moved on. I'd realize later, thanks to a note left on my car, that he was a fellow hammock camper and that we'd corresponded before on the HammockForums and I'd introduced him to the Backpacking Arkansas forum. Small world.

No comments:

Post a Comment