Friday, November 12, 2010

Backpacking

I took my first backpacking trip a couple of weekends ago, it was wonderful. Part of the thrill was in the planning; researching, weighing, developing spreadsheets, comparing others gear lists.
This latest obsession began to evolve after I bought a new camera last fall. I had given away all my old SLR gear long ago, but hadn't replaced it. When I started to research, I decided that I really didn't want to go full blown, so I settled on a midway Canon SX10IS. It all started with a buck in my yard. I just needed a little more telephoto than what my little point and shoot had. Anyway, I decided that the new camera was a good excuse to take a couple of fall days off and head to the Upper Buffalo (pics of this trip are on my link below that trip report.) I hiked quite a bit that trip, and decided for Thanksgiving to head to the Hill Country and hike some more (also in another trip report.)
Then there was the Big Bend Trip (ditto.)
All the while I was hiking these trails a wisp of an idea began to grow. I had never seriously considered backpacking since I have a badly abused back, and I had neck surgery just a couple of years ago. However, the wisp continued to grow until it became a cloud. You know one of those clouds above a persons head when they get an idea. Well it was a fairly grandiose idea, but I couldn't shake it.
So, I began to research. The internet is a wonderful thing (even if it is changing the way my brain works, and my powers of concentration are going to hell.) It can't be beat for research! I visited all kinds of ultralight backpacking sites, not to mention all the forums; BackpackingLight, the Hammock Forums, White Blaze, Big Bend Chat, etc.
Boy what a wealth of knowledge out there. Well before you could say ultra light, I was buying new gear,weighing, making spreadsheets, and about a year later was ready to start training. This was the true test, could I actually sustain a trip, even a short one carrying all my gear on my back???? Well I started light, then added over time until I was hiking up to 4 miles in the morning before work with a loaded pack. But what about a real hike? I decided to join in on a hike to the Caney Cr. Trail in SW AR. It was an easy trail, about 5 miles per day and surely would give me my answer.
It was a wonderful trip!!! Albeit with a large, noisy, yet fun group, but it gave me the opportunity to further test my gear, and go into an area I'd never been to. I carried the pack with ease. The only thing I hadn't planned for was the dayhike after setting up camp. I didn't have a way to carry water, but I've since remedied that, and I now have a carabiner to attach my pack to the tree where I hang my hammock. I did have an extra piece for prusik line so I was able to attach it to a tree, but those were the only things I didn't foresee. I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment